Thursday, March 18, 2010

THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER




Russell hears a knock on the door on a windy but peaceful night. His children are fast asleep at the living room while he and his wife are chatting as usual. He opens the door and is startled to find his boss outside. “Mr. Wade, I am surprised. Please come in,” Russell leads him into the cosy corner of his humble home. His wife, Nancy is busy at the kitchen making hot tea for the important uninvited guest.


“Russell, I have news from the company which I want you to hear,” the bearded bespectacled man speaks with a smile. “Can you be my personal assistant?”


Russell’s eyes widen. “Why? Sure. Can I?” he mumbles.


“One thing you also need to know,” his boss puts his hands on his shoulder. “There will be no extra pay BUT I will see to it that you’ll be rewarded later. Don’t worry about being inadequate. I will be your teacher and if you are willing to learn, you can make it soon enough.”


While Nancy serves tea to both of them, she interjects, “That would be an honour for Russ.” Her husband grins at his supporting wife and decides to take the challenge.


“Yes, I will take the challenge. It is an honour, Sir!” Russell speaks convincingly. “I don’t know what to say. For you to visit this unimportant employee has already thrilled me to bits,” he adds.


“Then, it’s done. My words are good as gold,” Mr. Wade stands up and shakes Russell’s hand.


Nancy is surprised at the speed for such a major shakeup. So does her husband.
Russell has always trusted Mr. Wade as his boss has been consistent in his business dealings. Mr. Wade is also known to be kind and charitable. But for him to take over as PA is surely not in his wildest dream.


Next Day at the office…


“Hey Lee, what’s happening, man?” Russell pats Kenneth Lee, his colleague on the shoulders. “Russ, let me tell you something,” Kenneth pushes his friend to a corner.


“Something happened yesterday that you would never believe could happen,” he whispers.


“Mr. Wade went to my house!”


“Oh, what did he say to you?”


“He offered me a job as his PA, can you beat that?”


“Wow! Did you take the job?”


“Take the job? Take the job? You must be kidding me!”


“Why?”


“Do you know what it entails to be a PA? I have not even finished knowing my job right now! Furthermore he said I would not have extra pay. My take, he can keep his PA post to himself.”


Russell walks away a little confused.


Near to his office room, he meets Wayne. He sees a troubled look on his friend’s face. “Hey, what’s the trouble?” he asks.


“Can you keep a secret if I tell you?” Wayne walks into Russell’s room. “Boss came over to my house last night,” the worried man utters.


“What did he say to you?”


“He offered me a job as his PA.”


“Wow! It’s good news! What’s troubling you?”


“Deep down I want to take the challenge but the more I think about it, the more I am afraid.”


“What are you afraid of?”


“You know, Russ. The last time I was promoted as a senior supervisor, I faced so much resentment from my peers and subordinates. They chose to ignore me and gave me troubles in every little thing. I sense a lot of jealously in this company.”


“So, what’s your decision?”


“I think I want to give it a miss. I know it is an honour for this post in such a large company but I think it’s not my time. One more thing though, the post comes with no extra pay.”


Wayne hurries off for his appointment as Russell starts to grow agitated.


Few hours later…


There is a knock on the door. “Come in!” Russell calls out. “Hey, Russ! How’s your day, man,”


Scott pulls out a chair and conveniently sits down. “Okay. So far so good! How’s yours?” Russell speaks casually.


“I am okay too! In fact I am very okay.”


“What do you mean?”


“Last night, boss offered me a powerful post!”


“Okay. Tell me about it,”


“He came over to my house uninvited and asked me if I could become his PA?”


“Wow! Did you take it?”


“In fact, I said, “Yes!” but…”


“But what?”


“I was struggling about it. Last night, as soon as Boss left, I googled for information regarding PA’s works in big corporations. It is really terrifying! I may have to do a lot of travelling, leave my beloved family behind. I am now enjoying my life here and being very comfortable. I come home every night to my family and we do things together most of the time. I don’t know if I can sacrifice everything for this job.”


“But I think you won’t know until you work as a PA. Maybe it’s different with Mr. Wade.”


“I am not willing to take this challenge. Anyway, it will be too late for anything. I spoke to Boss just now about not taking the job.”


Scott gets up to leave and turns around whispering, “Boss said this PA post comes with no extra pay.”


Russell ponders about his own commitment as he heard each of his colleagues’ explanations.


5.15pm….


Russell gets a call from Mr. Wade’s secretary to see him in his office. As he walks along the big corridor leading to Boss office, he is struggling hard about the PA post. He is wondering whether any more employees were spoken to last night.


“Come, take a chair, Russell” Mr. Wade adjusts his spectacles.


“Thank you, Sir!” Russell responds uneasily.


“I see a struggle in your face, young man. What’s wrong?”


“Oh, no! Nothing,”


“I know. You are suspicious that I spoke to three of your colleagues about the same thing.”


“May I ask why you did that?”


“Oh, it’s simple. I needed to see who has the most willing heart to take this all important post.”


“What if all of us agreed to take up the post?”


“Then so be it! That’s why I offered the post without extra pay. Okay, do you also want out?”


“No. I stand by my word. And your words that said not to worry about inadequacy and you will be my teacher and if I am willing to learn, I will make it soon enough.”


“Great! We have a deal!” Mr. Wade stretches out his hand to Russell.


“Yes! Thank you for the post!” Russell smiles.


“I also want you to know one thing before you go. I will not keep it secret anymore,” his Boss speaks softly.


He leans close to Russell, “I am dying with cancer. I want you to take over this company when I am gone!”


The parable of the Sower and the soils is found in all three gospels, Matthew 13:3-9; 18-23; Mark 4:3-9; 13-20 and Luke 8: 5-8; 11-15.


For the first time, Jesus explains a parable to his disciples, the only ones who are interested to know more. The rest, the Scriptures in Isaiah was proven true again, “You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving” (Isaiah 6:9).


There are many reasons why some are more interested than others. Jesus said, “For this people's (not interested ones) heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them” (Isa. 6:10).


I believe Jesus is not at all surprised by those who hear something wonderful but simply walk away unmoved and untouched. But He is excited by His disciples who take Jesus aside and ask Him for explanation. He exclaims, “But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear (Matt. 13:16).


As I wrote before, Jesus came with a radical Gospel of the Kingdom! The words of the King of kings are life and they stand for eternity. And Jesus wants to completely alter the game plan of all peoples in Israel and the rest of the world. Either you run with the heavenly words or stagger in your earthly pit. The desire of the God Almighty is for everyone to have a heavenly kingdom perspective and live a fulfilled significant life. This is the only way forward and upward!


Yes, we can all make excuses or plead ignorant as the parable suggests but they will be to our own peril! We are not bluffing God but ourselves! Sometimes we are so entwined with our worldly environment that we refuse to step out of the boat of comfort! That is why so many Christians today are nominal and remain non-influential!


So, clear your eyes and check your ears! Make sure they are on the same page as the heavenly words! Then with a passionate and a willing spirit, run the God-given race as to win the prize!


Next: The parable of the Good Seed and the Weeds
http://psbible.blogspot.com/2010/03/parable-of-good-seed-and-weeds.html

No comments:

Post a Comment